It’s unfortunate that we have to see the same situation play out over-and-over again. Another family is not receiving justice after a white police officer wrongfully shots and killed their black family member.
Today, The U.S. Department of Justice has decided not to charge the Louisiana police officers in last year’s Baton Rouge, Louisiana fatal shooting of 37-year-old black man, Alton B. Sterling. As the New York Times reports, the decision was confirmed Tuesday afternoon by two people familiar with it.
The Sterling family has yet to be informed by the Justice Department of the decision. It is unclear when the DOJ will announce it.
“We have not heard nor received an update and are unaware of any charges that may or may not be filed,” said Ryan Julison, a spokesman for the Sterling family’s attorneys, told the Washington Post. “We have not received word, nor has the family been given any notice of upcoming updates regarding this case.”
The DOJ decision has sparked major concern. This concern is not only to the family, but also to the Mayor-President of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
“I am appalled that this news. Whether true or false, has been disseminated without a formal decision being relayed to the Sterling family first. Also, no one in my office or the governor’s office has been notified by the U.S. Attorney’s office of a decision or timeline,” Sharon Weston Broome said.
It’s sad to say that the clear footage of officers Howie Lake II and Blane Salamoni killing Sterling for selling CD’s near a convince store is not enough material to charge the officers.