Last month, a passenger’s face was left blackened and her hand blistered after her battery-powered headphones caught fire while she was traveling on an international flight between Beijing and Melbourne.
Now, The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has issued a warning after the incident on the flight left the woman with major injuries, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Wednesday.
The passenger, who has not been named, said she fell asleep for two hours into the flight, only to be woken when the headphones unexpectedly exploded.
“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck.
I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.
They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.”
The fight attendants poured water on the headphones and placed them in a bucket.
However, the battery and its cover had both melted and stuck to the floor near the woman.
The remainder of the flight passengers had “endured the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair,” ATSB said.
The ATSB also mentioned the headphone battery “likely caught fire,” adding, “As the range of products using batteries grows, the potential for in-flight issues increases.”
A spokesperson for the authority said it was their first report of headphones catching fire in Australia, but there have been other phone and device battery incidents.
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald