A California girl passed away after she had a severe reaction from using a toothpaste that contained milk.
PIX 11 reports 11-year-old Denise was brushing her teeth with a new toothpaste on April 4 when she started crying. Her mother, Monique Altamirano said her daughter’s lips were already blue when she ran into her room. Monique said she administered the EpiPen and gave Denise her inhaler but nothing worked.
The toothpaste contained a ingredient called Recaldent, a milk protein and Monique said she and her husband are usually careful when it comes to their daughter’s health:
“I did not think to look at the product ingredients. She was just excited to have her special toothpaste.”
RELATED STORIES: Woman Develops Donor’s Peanut Allergy After Lung Transplant
Monique tried to revive her daughter since she stopped breathing but she died later that night after she was transported to a local hospital.
Monique and Denise’s father, Jose Saldate, are now encouraging parents to read every ingredient if their child has allergies.
“You can’t get comfortable or be embarrassed or afraid to ask and ensure that ingredients are OK. Be that advocate for your child.”
A GoFundMe account was set up to help pay for funeral expenses.