Connect with us

The Hollywood Unlocked

Couple Dies From Bubonic Plague After Eating Raw Marmot Meat


Couple Dies From Bubonic Plague After Eating Raw Marmot Meat

A Mongolian couple who ate raw marmot meat passed away from the bubonic plague last week.

According to USA Today, the couple died on May 1 in an isolated area in Mongolia’s Bayan-Ölgii province. Their death led to a six-day quarantine of 118 people who were in contact with the couple which included locals and a group of tourists. They were given antibiotics to prevent further contraction of the plague bacteria.

American Peace Corps volunteer Sebastian Pique said that people were scared to leave their homes after the quarantine was lifted:

“After the quarantine [was announced] not many people, even locals, were in the streets for fear of catching the disease,”

RELATED STORIES: Over 300 Students & Staff Quarantined Amid Measles Outbreak At UCLA

World Health Organization official Ariuntuya Ochirpurev reported to the BBC that the couple ate raw marmot meat and kidney. The dish is considered to be consumed for good health. The rodent is also illegal to hunt in the area and it is known to be a carrier of the plague bacteria.

RELATED STORIES: Man Charged After Allegedly Breaking Measles Quarantine To Go To Gym

Press play to learn more about the bubonic plague and let us know your thoughts.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in News




To Top