Death Toll Rises To 321 In Sri Lanka Explosions
According to updated reports, the death toll in the Easter Sunday suicide attacks on churches and hotels has risen to 321. Officials also said that a total of 40 suspects have been taken into custody for questioning as of Tuesday.
At the time it was unclear who was responsible for the attacks but ISIS is now claiming full responsibility for the Easter Sunday suicide bombings in Sri Lanka. CBS News reports that an official in the country said the preliminary investigation into the attacks showed it was “retaliation” for the massacre of Muslims at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
“The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka was in retaliation for the attack against Muslims in Christchurch,” the state minister of defence Ruwan Wijewardene told parliament. It was unclear what Wijewardene based his assessment on. However, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe followed up saying it was “possible” there was a connection between the two attacks.
As we previously covered, fifty people were killed in shooting attacks on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on March 15. An Australian white supremacist was accused of carrying out the attack on his own, and streaming the crime on Facebook.
ISIS offered no evidence of links to the militants or advance knowledge of the attacks, however, officials said they are heavily investigating.
Press Play Below For More: