Jussie Smollett’s Attorney Says The Actor Is A Victim Of ‘Media Lynching’
Jussie Smollett’s attorney Mark Geragos is heated over the 16 count indictment his client is facing. Geragos has issued a blistering statement calling it a “redundant indictment” and arguing the Empire star maintains his innocence.
As we reported, Smollett was originally charged with one Class 4 Felony charge of disorderly conduct last month for falsifying a police report, but a grand jury has applied that charge 15 times over in an 36-page indictment that was returned on Thursday. Now, the actor is facing a maximum sentence of 48 years behind bars and fines of up to $400,000, the Daily News reports.
“The fact of an indictment was not unexpected. We knew that there is no way they would expose their evidence to a public airing and subject their witnesses to cross-examination. What is unexpected, however, is the prosecutorial overkill in charging 16 separate counts against Jussie.”
“This redundant and vindictive indictment is nothing more than a desperate attempt to make headlines in order to distract from the internal investigation launched to investigate the outrageous leaking of false information by the Chicago Police Department and the shameless and illegal invasion of Jussie’s privacy in tampering with his medical records. Jussie adamantly maintains his innocence even if law enforcement has robbed him of that presumption.” Geragos said to TMZ.
Geragos also spoke with CNN and said Smollett was the victim of a “media gangbang” and “media lynching.”
Smollett is accused of hiring brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo to beat him up outside his apartment on January 29 in what he later described to police as a racist and homophobic attack. They say Smollett’s motive was that he wanted a higher salary on Empire.
Press Play Below For More: