Limo Company Operator Walks Free On $150K Bail
The operator of the limo company that was involved in the fatal crash that killed 20 people was set free on $150,000 bond after pleading not guilty to charges of criminally negligent homicide during his arraignment.
Nauman Hussain, 28, was escorted home in a white Cadillac Escalade by his defense attorney, Lee Kindlon.
“For the life of my client and his family I ask that you respect his privacy,” Kindlon said, adding that his client has been receiving death threats since Saturday’s accident.
In court, Schoharie County District Attorney Susan J. Mallery argued that Hussain was a possible flight risk since he’d seemingly been making a run for it when he was picked up by state police earlier on Wednesday.
“He was leaving the jurisdiction today. His car was packed with his belongings,” Mallery said.
But Kindlon argued his client was afraid for his life and just trying to stay safe by leaving home.
According to the NY Post, Hussain will now be residing in an “undisclosed location” due to the threats. One of the threats sent to his lawyer, which was showed to the Post, read, “You and your towelhead client are after the $$$ you don’t fool me.”
Hussain agreed to turn over his US passport as a part of his bail agreement.