Connect with us

The Hollywood Unlocked

Migrant Boy Reunited With Mother Who Sued Trump Administration Over Separation

News

Migrant Boy Reunited With Mother Who Sued Trump Administration Over Separation

A migrant 7-year-old boy was finally reunited with his mother after she sued the Trump administration over their family’s separation.

RELATED: House Fails To Pass Donald Trump’s Immigration Bill

As the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” immigration policy continues to plague immigrant families hoping to cross the border, one family fought for justice after they crossed the U.S. border seeking asylum from Guatemala. Beata Mariana de Jesus Mejia-Mejia and her 7-year-old son Darwin had an emotional reunion at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport in Maryland in the early morning hours on Friday after the mother-son duo were separated since May.

Darwin was being held at a Phoenix, Arizona, shelter since mid-May, according to CNN. The mother and son were separated just days after they crossed the U.S.-Mexico border while trying to flee domestic violence from Mejia’s husband. Mejia went on to sue several government agencies, as well as top Trump administration officials over claims they violated her rights when they separated the pair, CNN reported. The mother was seeking damages for pain and suffering.

In the lawsuit, Mejia said that when officials took away her son, “he was screaming and crying and did not want to be taken away from his mother,” reported CNN.

Mejia was being held in a detention center in Eloy, Arizona prior to her release from custody on June 15. An immigration bond company called Libre by Nexus paid her $12,500 bond pro bono and a division of the company will represent her in court, according to CNN.

The Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy has resulted in over 2,000 children being separated from their parents at the border since May. Following international backlash over the harsh policy, President Trump signed an executive order reversing his administration’s policy earlier this week.

“We are keeping families together,” Trump said in the Oval Office.

A senior official from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection anonymously told the Washington Post that migrant parents entering the United States illegally with their children will no longer face criminal charges. After President Trump’s decision to sign the executive order, Border Patrol agents were reportedly told to stop sending migrant parents to federal courthouses.

ICE will now be releasing the separated families from custody while waiting for their appointed court hearings.

RELATED: Melania Trump Makes Surprise Visit To Texas Immigration Detention Center

Take a look at the immigration issue below.


Photo: 1 of 11

 

1

Source

Click to comment

More in News

Exclusive

Trending

Contributors

To Top