Connect with us

The Hollywood Unlocked

Officers In Stephon Clark Shooting Won’t Be Charged

Facebook

News

Officers In Stephon Clark Shooting Won’t Be Charged

Officers In Stephon Clark Shooting Won’t Be Charged

RELATED: Family of Stephon Clark Sues The City Of Sacramento For $15 Million

District Attorney Anne-Marie Schubert announced during a press conference on Saturday that the two police officers who killed Stephon Clark would not be charged.

Stephon was murdered March of last year after Sacramento police responded to a 911 call of a man allegedly breaking car windows. The two officers then chased Clark into a backyard, which was later discovered to be his grandmother’s. They proceeded to shoot him over 20 times.

The officers claim that they believed Stephon had a gun, however, he only had his cellphone on him.

CBS news reports that Schub said the lethal use of force used by the officers was lawful,

“We must recognize that they are often forced to make split-second decisions and we must recognize that they are under tense, uncertain and rapidly evolving circumstances.”

The officers have also remained at work, with no indication as to whether they will be terminated.

Brian Panish, the lawyer who is representing Clark’s children, issued a statement Saturday adding that the Sacramento district attorney decided to advocate for the officers rather than Clark.

“The City has once again failed Stephon Clark, his family and the people of Sacrament,” he said.

Clark’s murder caused outrage across the city and his death prompted state legislation that would only allow police to use deadly force only if there was no other alternative.

RELATED: 11 Arrested In Times Square Following Protests Over Stephon Clark’s Death

Click to comment

More in News

Exclusive

Trending

Contributors

To Top