Second Arrest Made In Shooting Of David Ortiz
According to the latest reports, a man involved in the shooting of Red Sox all-star David Ortiz in Dominican Republic was detained and appeared in court late Tuesday on a charge of being an accomplice to the attempted murder of the former baseball player.
The suspect has been identified as Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia. Prosecutors asked that he be held in custody for a year of pre-trial detention. However, defense attorney, Bunel Ramírez Merán, made a request to the judge to postpone the decision so defense lawyers could gather relevant evidence. Merán is reportedly planning to demonstrate to the court that his client would not present a flight risk due to his “family, social and work ties,” CNN reports. The judge said he would rule on the prosecution request on Wednesday.
In addition to Garcia, a second suspect was also arrested Tuesday evening, the Boston Globe reported, but no further details were shared. As we previously covered, Ortiz, 43, along with his friend were shot Saturday night while at a nightclub. Ortiz was hit from the back and “the bullet went through his stomach,” police said. The two suspects tried to flee on a motorcycle but fell to the pavement. A crowd then attacked Féliz García and handed him over to police.
Ortiz was taken to the hospital to seek treatment for his wounds. He took his first steps on Tuesday afternoon after undergoing a second surgery to address his injuries. Tiffany Ortiz said her husband was “stable, awake, and resting comfortably” in Mass General’s intensive care unit, “where he is expected to remain for the next several days,” according to a statement released by the Major League Baseball.
Press Play Below For More: