A Pennsylvania hospital has issued an apology after three infants died under their care when they were fed infected donor breast milk.
WUSA9 reports Geisinger Medical Center issued an apology after feeding premature infants donor breast milk that contained a waterborne bacteria. The bacteria, Pseudomonas bacterium, was traced back to the equipment used to prepare and measure the breast milk.
“We would like to extend our sincere apologies to the families who have been affected by this incident. We know that the public holds us to the highest standards, and we will continue to strive to live up to those expectations as we have throughout our history, constantly improving on what we do and how we do it,”
Three out of the eight babies who were infected died earlier this year and the hospital reported there was no policy in reference to cleaning their equipment, leading up to a citation from the Department of Health. They began to use single-use equipment on Sept.30 and no new cases of infections have surfaced.
RELATED STORIES: Woman Gets No Jail Time After Baby Dies From Drug-Laced Breast Milk
Press play to learn more in the video below and share your thoughts with the Yappa comment box!