A botched lip procedure in the U.K. led a woman straight to the emergency room and lucky to be alive after the filler was injected into an artery.
Rachael Knappier, 29, was having the time of her life while at a friend’s Botox party in the U.K, with a beautician giving lip fillers for a lower cost.
Following her injections, Knappier’s lips began to swell five times the normal size. Knappier says that instead of injecting the filler into the lip’s tissue which is almost at the surface, the beautician injected the solution into an artery. That caused her lips to become so large and cut off circulation to the tissue.
“She told me I was having an allergic reaction, but when I got to the hospital, they told me straight away I was not, and that the filler had been administered incorrectly,” Knappier said in an interview with Cosmopolitan.
“Left untreated, it would have led to necrosis, which is the death of the soft tissue of your lip—something that’s irreversible.”
“The beautician, who I assumed at the time was a nurse, didn’t ask me to sign any consent forms, so alarm bells should have rung,” she said in an interview.
“But being at a party with friends took away all the seriousness of having filler injected into my face.”
“I am trying to raise awareness of the dangers of using non-medically qualified people to administer Botox and fillers,” she says.
“It is such an unregulated industry in the UK, and I didn’t even know that non-medics could do this,” she adds. “People need to do thorough research on the people they allow to carry out these procedures.”
If you are ever in doubt about a procedure being done, always make sure to ask for a licensed professional before going under. Take a look at her pictures below and let us know what you think!